The Watcher Cat

The Watcher Cat

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Prayer Request

Not my normal style, deacon though I am--I have always been hesitant to use this space to ask you, who are kind enough to read here, to hold someone in prayer. But I was shocked to read this:
The shooting of a high-ranking lawyer within Gov. Cuomo’s administration during a late night party before the West Indian Day Parade has marred festivities in Brooklyn.

A shaken Cuomo hailed Carey Gabay, 43, First Deputy Counsel to Empire State Development, as an example of the “American dream” who opted for public service instead of a hefty paycheck from a Wall Street law firm.

Detectives said they suspected Gabay was caught in the crossfire of a gang-related dispute. He is in critical condition at Kings County Hospita
From Capitol Confidential:
“Carey remains in critical condition and is currently in a coma surrounded by his loved ones,” Gabay’s family said. “Our family is thankful for the outpouring of prayers that we’ve received in the aftermath of this senseless violence. Carey has always been an inspiration to all of us and he continues to inspire us with his fight for survival. We are leaning on our faith and asking for continued support during this extremely difficult time.”

Gabay was shot in the head in the predawn hours Monday while walking along a Brooklyn street.

Cuomo said Tuesday evening on the return flight from his trip to Puerto Rico that there had been no developments in Gabay’s condition that had been positive.
I'm not going to pretend to know Carey Gabay better than I do, but when I was being vetted for my current position, he interviewed me. He was affable, kindly, and shrewd--he asked smart questions, and our conversation was both efficient and pleasant. The high opinion he earned from people I respect greatly and my own brief experience of him convince me that I would like him more the better I knew him.

No comments: