The Watcher Cat

The Watcher Cat

Thursday, February 26, 2015

The Eve of George Herbert's Day



Tomorrow, we celebrate mystic, poet, and priest George Herbert. One of my favorites, and one set beautifully by Ralph Vaughan Williams, is The Call:
Come, my Way, my Truth, my Life:
Such a Way, as gives us breath:
Such a Truth, as ends all strife:
Such a Life, as killeth death.

Come, my Light, my Feast, my Strength:
Such a Light, as shows a feast:
Such a Feast, as mends in length:
Such a Strength, as makes his guest.

Come, my Joy, my Love, my Heart:
Such a Joy, as none can move:
Such a Love, as none can part:
Such a Heart, as joyes in love.
The element of joy in our response to God's call is, I think, an important one. That our calling should not be dreary, or wearisome, but something that we do in service to others, but in the process achieving out own best, truest selves.

One of the things I love about the Episcopal Church is the variety of those who make the calendar, poets as well as prophets.

Sometimes, of course, they can be both.

No comments: