The Watcher Cat

The Watcher Cat

Monday, September 12, 2016

Second Star to the Right, and Straight on till Morning



So here we are in a September, after nearly two months in which I seriously thought of hanging up the whole thing, blogging away.

It seems that I just can't quit you.

But here's the thing: When I first started this blog, it was one of two that I wrote up. The first focused on law and politics, and this one was my sounding board for all things theological, as I was in the process of discerning my own ordination to the vocational diaconate. I had glimpsed the truth that Susan Howatch has articulated quite well, when she wrote that "When beginning the second journey you reach the crossroads, and you can either turn aside and do something quite new or you can go on but in a very different way."

For a while I went on, but in a very different way. Until I fell back into the old way, and politics began to take root here. I don't think that's the best of me.

Then came the adventure of writing a novel, and, to my surprise, I managed it. Phineas at Bay has sold in small numbers, but the reactions have been gratifying, and, honestly, I'm very pleased with it. I wrote the book I wanted to read. That's a gift I never thought I'd be given, to have produced a full-length work of fiction of which I could say I think it's pretty good.

But now, where do we go from here?

Onward. Wherever that leads. Stories, sermons, theology, whatever. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for coming on the prowl!

No comments: