The Watcher Cat

The Watcher Cat

Monday, April 27, 2015

Nero Wolfe as I First Encountered Him



Well, there he is.

Nero Wolfe, as adapted for television in 1981 (funny, I remember it feeling earlier than that.) But I had never heard of Wolfe or Archie before this series, which I watched with my beloved grandfather. So it was funny to stumble on it again, 34 years later.

It's not a patch on the brilliant A & E adaptation, but it still has charm for me--no doubt because I met the inhabitants of the brownstone through this flawed but loving version (seriously, nice job on the brownstone's sets.) And that led me to reading the whole Rex Stout corpus.

And if William Conrad's Wolfe lack's Maury Chaikin's subtle humanity, and if Lee Horsley's Archie lacks Timothy Hutton's brash charm--well, I owe them a debt anyway.

No comments: