The Watcher Cat

The Watcher Cat

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Feline Navidad!

As we move from Advent into Christmastide, I'm hoping to lay the politics aside at least for 48 hours. But, hopefully in the Franciscan spirit, I thought I'd give an update on some of our friends at the Navy Yard. La Caterina and I went there today, to feed, and then afterward I prowled around Dumbo.

Here are Black-eyed Susan greeting us on arrival, along with Little Midnight and, to the far left, Katy the Tailless (as always, click to embiggen):


Here's a better look at Katy, an affectionate little thing, and one of our charmers:


After la Caterina went off (for some Christmas shopping to which I was not invited, hmmm...?), I wandered through Dumbo, visiting PS Books, where a minor haul was made--copies of Bridenbaugh's Mitre and Sceptre (a study of Anglicanism in the American colonies 1689-1775), Jessie L. Weston's Romance, Vision and Satire, a nice first edition of the great, if eccentric, Arthurian scholar's "new renderings" of medieval epic poetry both Arthurian (Sir Gawain and the Green Knight), for example) and not ("Belshazzar's feast, for example), and the 1893 SPCK Life of George Herbert of Bemerton.

After that, I went to Jacques Torres, to stock up on Wicked Hot Chocolate that La C and I enjoy in the winter, and saw that those suggesting the end of the Mayan calendar foretold darkness were not, in fact, all wrong:


If they'd have guessed milk chocolate, and not dark, they'd have had it right...

No comments: