The Watcher Cat

The Watcher Cat

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Not So Much a Candidate for Husband of the Year

OK, I admit I'm not a dressage fan. Not my thing, really. But I have to admit to feeling a twinge of empathy for Ann Romney when I read this:
Much is made during the Olympics of the robust support systems needed to send an Olympian into competition. The parents, families and employers who rally around their athlete to get them to the games. The village it takes to make Olympic dreams come true.
But for Mitt Romney, whose wife Ann’s horse Rafalca will compete in the Olympic event of dressage, he makes it clear it’s really not his thing.
In an interview with NBC News Wednesday night, Romney spoke of the experience of being in the Olympics with the disengaged tone and shrug of a husband who doesn’t quite get his wife’s hobby.

“It’s a big, exciting experience for my wife. I have to tell you, this is Ann’s sport,” he said. “I’m not even sure which day the sport goes on. She will get the chance to see it, I will not be watching the event. I hope her horse does well. But just the honor of being here and representing our country and seeing the other Olympians is … something which I’m sure the people that are associated with this are looking forward to.”
Of course, this being Romney, he's lying--the article points out that he has been "associated with" Rafalca, selecting the "horse ballet" music for at least one event, and, sharing his wife's riding enthusiasm. (I have to admit, it's nice to hear that Romney has some personal tastes that don't involve brining in the coin.)

So, here we have a man who, for what can only be the infinitesimal flicker of political gain of distancing himself from his wife's "elitist" hobby, is cheerfully willing to disparage her not inconsiderable achievement in qualifying her horse for the Olympics. Nice guy. I hope he finishes last.

Edited to Add: I should say that my own enthusiasms--legal scholarship, theology, etc., can be a bit obscure, and my own wife has been very supportive, as I believe I am of hers. I find Romney's behavior characteristically gutless, but also quite offensive--this is the guy swaggering around saying he won't apologize for America (suggesting the incumbent does) and he can't even show support his wife on a day that is the culmination of a lot of time and work. The GOP really is nominating Gordon Gekko.

2 comments:

Vinnie Bartilucci said...

The knee-jerk anti-Conservicans LOVE the fact that the Romneys are into Dressage, which may stand above polo as the most rich-people-only sport on the earth.

I'm sure as the competition approaches, the sale of their other dressage horse will be (you should pardon the expression) trotted out again to have something else negative to be said.

For the last few elections I have stared blankly at my party's candidates and asked "Is this TRULY the best we have to offer?" And slowly I realize it more that this is the best of the ones willing to take enough time off work to go for the job.

Anglocat said...

Yeah, dressage isn't exactly the sport of the commoners, Vin, but I really do mean it when I say that Ann Romney's achievement deserves more respect from her husband.

I have to say, I agree with your assessment of the candidates.