The Watcher Cat

The Watcher Cat

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Harshing the ABC's Mellow

As a serious addict of Doctor Who, I pride myself on making the references snappy. So, when I first saw this story and its accompanying youtube, depicting the Archbishop of Canterbury in a cloak, looking for all the world like a superannuated Anthony Ainley, I had a sardonic chuckle.

But, alas, the Telegraph's James Delingpole and Damian Thompson beat me to it:
James Delingpole reckons that Archbishop Rowan Williams is reminiscent of Doctor Who’s arch-enemy the Master, as played by Roger Delgado in the incomparable Pertwee era. I think that’s a bit unfair. On the Master.
***

Well, the Master had his flaws, I’ll give you that. One of which was an unwavering commitment to the forces of evil. But at least he didn’t waffle, like Dr Rowan Williams. He wasn’t always strictly truthful, but unless you were massively gullible you knew where he stood. He was in favour of unbridled greed, tryannical world domination, the enslavement of entire galaxies, and the ordination of women bishops.
Guess which one of the Master's theological points I'm down with?

Could this be the ABC confronted with the need to take a position?



Oh, and Happy New Year, all!

No comments: