The Watcher Cat

The Watcher Cat

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A Spiritual Discipline

So, I recently went on a retreat at which one of the facilitators gave me, with a recommendation that I use them, a set of Anglican rosary beads. As a recovering Roman Catholic, I remember my maternal grandmother's rosary as a beautiful and mysterious object. (I still have a silver cross she gave my parents on their wedding day; I wear it when I'm the crucifer).

So, I decided to try it. Now, I'm not so great at letting go and meditating, but the use of simple arrow prayers combined with the physicality of using the beads was a tremendous help in meditating, and closing down my busy brain.

Then, an idea hit me--to also use the beads in intercessory prayer--the large beads for the person I know most in need of prayer; each of the little beads to hold a different person up to God. It made me think beyond my normal prayer list--lengthening it, becoming more deliberate in choosing who I pray for.

Now it's become an integral part of my prayer life, enriching not just who I pray for but how I pray.

Somehow, I think my Nana is very amused by all of this.

No comments: