The Watcher Cat

The Watcher Cat

Friday, April 12, 2013

Phineas Redux?



So I have always loved Anthony Trollope's Palliser novels, especially Phineas Finn and, even more so, Phineas Redux. But I was never happy with the way Trollope ended the series, especially with Phineas's gradual fade to the background; the character's potential did not seem to me to be fully used, just like that of his wife, the once notorious "Madame Max." Here are two rebels--the Irish maverick, and the Jewish adventuress-with-principles--both clearly loved by Trollope, and both capable of mischief and shaking up the stuffy Palliser environs more than any characters left standing at the end of the series. What next?

A few years ago, between scholarly projects, an idea for a follow up hit me, and I wrote up a few chapters. I just stumbled on them again, and reread them, and, well, I think it might do.

So a 2013 sequel to an 1873 novel? I have to admit I'd like to try. Hopefully, the idea isn't so blasphemous as to get me stripped of my BA in English; I mean, hopefully more Jean Rhys and less Alexandra Ripley, but as long as I don't bore myself...

Not that the world has been clamoring for the new Pallisers installment, but that's just because they don't know they want it...

(Clip above stars Donal McCann as Phineas and Barbara Murray as Marie (Madame Max) Goesler at the end of Phineas Redux.)

No comments: