The Watcher Cat

The Watcher Cat

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Speaking the Truth

Bravo to Vice President Biden:



And, in his turn, to President Obama:



Tonight, Andrew Sullivan speaks for me:
I do not know how orchestrated this was; and I do not know how calculated it is. What I know is that, absorbing the news, I was uncharacteristically at a loss for words for a while, didn't know what to write, and, like many Dish readers, there are tears in my eyes.

So let me simply say: I think of all the gay kids out there who now know they have their president on their side. I think of Maurice Sendak, who just died, whose decades-long relationship was never given the respect it deserved. . . . I think of all those in the plague years shut out of hospital rooms, thrown out of apartments, written out of wills, treated like human garbage because they loved another human being. I think of Frank Kameny. I think of the gay parents who now feel their president is behind their sacrifices and their love for their children.
Yeah. Change is is coming, folks. And about time, too,

No comments: