The Watcher Cat

The Watcher Cat

Sunday, March 25, 2012

To the Sword!

I admit, I've loved a good sword fight since I was a boy. The clash of blades, the elegance of swordplay, it's got a real magic to it.:



Hollywood fencing is one thing, but the real thing can be amazing. Although, don't sneer at all Hollywood fencing--Basil Rathbone had real skill:



Of course, the point of the whole exercise is to kill someone, which takes some of the fun out of the whole thing. Still, fencing without lethal consequences is pretty much the only athletic activity I've ever really enjoyed. (Golf is mildly amusing, until I realize highest score is only winning! in the Charlie Sheen sense of the word.)

I am a beginner, recommencing after an over 10 year layoff, when I was, well, still a beginner. I take lessons and bout at Brooklyn Fencing Center, where, fortunately for me, the lessons are not done this style:



Ah, my saber coach is fortunately more patient than this.

4 comments:

Vinnie Bartilucci said...

Rathbone carried Danny Kaye to a solid swordfight in The Court Jester, as well.

Anglocat said...

I'd forgotten that; time to re-watch The Court Jester!

rick allen said...

Much fun stuff. Thanks.

I often forget I did some fencing in high school. This eccentric friend of a friend got about five of us interested. I once came within a point of actually winning a novice tournament, I, who never played any sport in school.

Among the five of us we could only afford two electric foils and jackets, so at the tournaments we were like Indy teams between bouts, pulling the equipment off one and putting it on the next, often to the chagrin of our waiting opponents.

Unhappily I never got any better. Over the years, in college and law school, I occasionally ran into someone who had fenced, but whenever I again took up the foil I was never competitive. And I'm afraid that, today, I also present a somewhat larger target.

Anglocat said...

Glad you enjoyed, Rick. I too, er, am a larger target than once I was. Saber works better for me, as a result. Also, saber is cool (end bad Matt Smith impression)